Collectibles
I've been reading about Ruth Bell Graham a lot lately -- her writings, her poetry, her biography, etc. and have been uplifted and inspired by this gracious lady's life. When I read her notes and comments about "Collectibles" it hit a nerve. As I'm now in my sixth decade of life, I've recently had to weed out some of the things I've collected in years past because there just isn't space for it all. I've tried to give away some of it, pass some things on to ones that would inherit it when I die, or make other purposeful decisions to dispose of some of it. I inherited my father's coin collection, and I started many years ago collecting tea pots and tea accessories, but had to put a stop to that due to my very generous friends and family. You can only use one tea pot at a time!

I heartily confirm Ruth's suggestion below. Some things are greatly worth collecting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the writings of Ruth Bell Graham:

People are writing and talking about "collectibles." They can be a hedge against inflation, sort of a cusion in case of depression. They are small items that initially may have cost little or nothing but that increase startlingly in value in a relatively short period of time. Included are old stamps, rare coins, old photographs, paintings, even certain cans and bottles.

I got to thinking. What would be the best collectible for me? Something that would increase in value; something that would make me really wealthy; something I could share that would be a cushion in case of depression, and could provide comfort in case of the death of a loved one or of old age.

I had it! Bible verses. I had started long ago.

In China [where RBG was born and raised] Miss Lucy Fletcher offered us, her students, $5.00 (a lot of money for a missionary's kid) if we would memorize the Sermon on the Mount. Hours and hours of going over and over Matthew 5, 6, 7. When the time came to recite it, I made one mistake so got only $4.50. But I wouldn't take one thousand times that amount in place of having memorized it. RBG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1 Comments:

Blogger Latane Barton said...

That is priceless. I too have collected things over the years, platters, my mom's bell collection, antique pictures (that's pictures of old folks ha), I love dishes and collect them. Anyway, I am in my seventh decade, and boy, am I weeding out, giving away, passing things on. They brought joy at the time but nothing that could compare to Ruth Bell Graham's collection of Bible verses.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits