Thanksgiving
I'm posting this poem a little bit early for the Thanksgiving holiday, but I r-e-a-l-l-y like it. I hope you do, too.

Elaine

p.s. I "think" the poet of this poem is Elisabeth Prentiss (she also wrote the words to the hymn, "More Love To Thee" ....)

(I'll try to find out in the next couple of days if she was, in truth, the poet of the following poem.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thank Thee, O my God, that through Thy grace
I know Thee, who Thou art;
That I have seen the beauty of Thy face
And felt Thee in my heart.

I thank Thee, O my Savior, who hast deigned
To stoop to even me;
Within my inmost soul hast ruled and reigned,
And will my ransom be.

I thank Thee, Holy Spirit, that Thy wings
Brood o'er my wandering mind;
Bringing to my remembrance sacred things
To which my eyes were blind.

I thank Thee, Triune God! But oh, how cold
The warmest words I speak;
For love and goodness strange and manifold,
All human words are weak.

O teach me, then, to praise Thee with my life,
With stern obedience;
To make the atmosphere about me rife
With silent eloquence!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits